Dr. Seema Bhatwadekar is a Clinical Haematologist and Bone Marrow Transplant Physician, currently practising at the Haemocare Centre (OPD) and Sterling Hospital (inpatient and day care) in Vadodara. She completed her MBBS and MD from Gandhi Medical College in Bhopal, in 1987 and 1991 respectively. Later, from 2004 to 2006, she underwent specialised training for two years in clinical haematology and bone marrow transplant at the Sahyadri Hospital in Pune, under Dr. Shashikant Apte. She then established her private practice in Vadodara.
Dr. Bhatwadekar worked to develop comprehensive haematology care in the city of Vadodara, which earlier lacked such facilities. She made the effort to develop and train a team of doctors and nurses in haematology patient care, and also put in place the requisite infrastructure at the Haemocare Centre as well as at Bhailal Amin General Hospital and Sterling Hospital. She helped set up the coagulation lab, haemolytic workup lab, neutropenia care ward, day care ward for chemotherapy, bone marrow transplant facility, etc. The Haemocare Centre is recognised by the Max Foundation for enrolment of CML patients under the GPAP scheme.
Dr. Bhatwadekar is well versed in all aspects of haematology such as haematological malignancy, and benign haematological disorders requiring long term management, including thalassemia, sickle cell disease, AIHA, MDS, aplastic anaemia, ITP, haemophilia, DVT, PE, etc. She is also familiar with procedures dealing with Hodgkins lymphoma, CLL, chronic lymphoproliferative disorders, multiple myeloma, immunosuppressant therapy, and neutropenic patients, as well as bone marrow transplant procedures such as aspiration and biopsy, intrathecal chemotherapy and central venous catheterisation.
Dr. Seema Bhatwadekar has participated as faculty at various national meets of bodies such as the Association of Physicians, Association of Vascular Surgery, Association of Surgeons, Association of Paediatrics, Association of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, ISHBT, etc, and regularly lectures at Haematology CMEs. She has also been regularly involved in mass education programmes through the print and broadcast media. Dr. Bhatwadekar has been organising the Haematology Update programme in Vadodara every year since 2007, as Programme Director. At this event, eminent haematologists and haemat-pathologists from all over the country are invited as faculty, and it is attended by over 500 physicians, surgeons, gynaecologists, pathologists, family physicians, etc, from Vadodara as well as neighbouring areas. This event ensures that various medical fraternities are exposed to the field of haematology.
Dr. Seema Bhatwadekars contributions to the field of Haematology:
- Developed Haematology work-up lab in association with NABL accredited Baroda Clinical Lab, Labcore specialities Lab at Vadodara.
- Developed a team of nursing staff (25) and trained them for haematology patient care such as neutropenia care, central line care and chemotherapy administration at Bhailal Amin General Hospital and Sterling Hospital in Vadodara.
- Trained junior doctors (7) for clinical haematology procedures, OPD evaluation of patients and indoor care of haematology patients.
- Developed neutropenia care ward and day care ward facility for chemotherapy at Bhailal Amin General Hospital and Sterling Hospital in Vadodara.
- Developed Bone Marrow Transplant Unit facility for the first time in Vadodara at Bhailal Amin General Hospital and Sterling Hospital.
- Free OPD and indoor consultation for haemophilia and thalassemia patients.
- Recognition from Max Foundation as a centre for enrollment of CML patients on GPAP scheme.